Aug 24, 2011

RIP Jack

Members of The Toronto Roller Derby League pose for a pic at Nuit Blanche with the late Jack Layton and Olivia Chow circa 2007.
It's been almost two days and the devastation of losing NDP leader Jack Layton has been overwhelming. I can't read an article about his life or death without crying and I feel like Canada has lost not only an amazing politician but an amazing man. His commitment to social justice and his activism will live on throughout the NDP party and his involvement within his community will be remembered always through pictures like the one above. 


I remember how exciting meeting him and his wife, NDP MP Olivia Chow was during Toronto's all night art show/party Nuit Blanche in 2007. I was there with other member of the Toronto Roller Derby League handing out promo materials when Jack and Olivia approached us wanting to get their picture taken with some roller derby girls. How cool is that? He was incredibly down to earth and accessible to all who were around him. In fact, most of the people I know have had a chance to meet Jack Layton at some point or another, which is certainly more than I can say for politicians like Michael Ignatieff or Stephen Harper. He really was ingrained in the country that he represented.


Jack Layton's passing is a huge loss for Canada. He was an inspiration, role model, ally and advocate to many; myself included. He inspired me to get out and vote, modelled compassion and was always in the corners of the folks who may not have been able to stick up for themselves. My sincere condolences go out to his family and friends, as well as to Canada for losing an incredible leader. RIP, Jack.

No comments: