Aug 8, 2011

Back To The Nightly Grind



Back on the midnight shift at work for the next couple of months. It will be interesting to document my descent from sanity as I begin to run my routine backwards from the bulk of society. I actually don't mind the late nights, I think I'm a nocturnal person for the most part and can stay up fairly easy but once the sun starts to rise, I start to lose it a little. But it's really not bad, as one of my co-workers put it, the worst part is travelling home feeling tired from the end of your day as everyone else is fresh and starting theirs.


I don't really talk a lot about what I do aside from DJ'ing on this blog like I'd promised, so I will a little bit now. I work full time at a women's shelter with women who have experiences with homelessness, mental health and addictions. I'm a front line staff member/case worker which means that I do everything that assists with the everyday running/functioning at the shelter like basic housekeeping and cooking (for 30!) although I mostly do more in depth work which includes counselling, crisis intervention and assisting women with things from hygene to recovering missing I.D. to finding employment and housing.




Some days it's tough, I can't sugar coat that. There are days where I want to tear my hair out. But for the most part, I love coming to work and hoping that I can be a positive change or at least a friendly smile for the women who stay here. If I can lend an ear, be an advocate, play a game of cards or do work with the gals in the garden up on the patio I'm a happy camper. But these overnights...oh man, wish me luck. 

No comments: