Oct 19, 2010

Mixtape Monday: On a Tuesday...

Well I may be a day late with this week's Mixtape Monday, but it is well worth it! This week's mixtape is a tribute to Phil Spector, the man behind the Wall of Sound production style. I wont bore you with the details of what that is in case you already know and if you don't, this Wikipedia entry does a fine job of explaining how this technique is done. Then you can listen to the following mixtape tracks and hear how it sounds in action! 

The 8 songs come from the Phil Spector box set, Back to Mono and I went through and found the songs that I thought to be the most innovative, or the best examples of how his production style sounded. There are tons more, and I love that artists and producers are still recreating this sound today, as you saw two blog posts below with the video for The Morning Bender's song, Excuses.



1. The Crystals - He's Sure The Boy I Love
2. Veronica - Why Don't They Let Us Fall In Love
3. The Ronettes - Baby I Love You
4. Bob B. Soxx & The Blue Jeans - Not Too Young To Get Married
5. Ike & Tina Turner - River Deep, Mountain High
6. Modern Folk Quartet - This Could Be The Night
7. The Ronettes - When I Saw You
8. The Righteous Brothers - Unchained Melody

No comments: