Jul 25, 2011

R.I.P. Amy Winehouse

Oh, Amy. :o(



You had a talent and an appreciation for music unlike the majority of pop musicians today. You wrote your own songs, heard how you wanted them to sound and told the powers that be how you wanted your album to come out as opposed to the other way around. You had the soul of Otis Redding, the sass of Etta James and a voice all your own. You didn't have to die to be a legend.


The first time I heard you, I thought you were a voice from another time. I was mesmerized by the song, "Back To Black" because I was so sure it was some 60's girl group that I was stunned I'd never heard before. I loved you, dj'ed the heck out you and hoped you'd turn around, get better and release another album.


I'm sorry that didn't happen, and I'm sorry that such an incredible talent is no longer with this world. At only 27, you've joined the elusive rock n' roll club that boasts members like Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Kurt Cobain (who also all died before turning 28). Thankfully, we have your albums so your voice will live on even though your pain and struggles have been put to rest.


No comments: